Shocking Image

Shocking Image

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Questions and Answers


I asked several young women questions about retouching and decided to share some of the interviews with you.
 Here are the questions that I asked each one of them:
1. Are you aware what retouching is? (Also known as airbrushing)
2. Do you think that many of the pictures of models and celebrities that appear in magazines are retouched? Can you think of any numbers? (For instance 1 out of 100, 5 out of 100..)
3. If you have the opportunity to have some of your pictures retouched will you do it? Let’s say your Facebook profile picture? Why?
4. Can you just share some thoughts on retouching? What do you think about it? Do you think that it might have positive or negative impact on young women?
And here are the answers.. 

Iga Kruk, 21- years-old
1.Yes.
2. I know for sure that most pictures of models and celebrities in magazines are retouched. I would say at least 95 out of 100. The only exceptions is tabloid magazines.
3. The only time I retouch my own photos is if there is a very noticeable blemish or discoloration. I do it because I want to come off as having clear skin. It is a sign of good health and I want to come off as attractive as as possible.
4. I personally wish magazines did not retouch, but it is inevitable that they will. I almost feel like editors having been overdoing it recently, but maybe that is only because I'm noticing it more nowadays. Some ads look SO obviously retouched, that it makes me sick. I absolutely think that it has a negative impact on young women. When it comes to body images, I
can honestly say that retouching in magazines has had a negative impact on me personally. I have been comparing my body to Victoria's Secret models for years already!.. Even though I KNOW they're retouched. It's a very sick and disgusting cycle. It breaks my heart to know that other young girls torture themselves this way, but it is inevitable.

Maggie Gineva , 18-years-old, student

1. Yes. Many of today’s magazine covers and the models displayed on them are not the true representation of who those women are.

2. I do believe that the majority of pictures that appear in magazine of models and celebrities are retouched simply for the fact that they look too perfect for the photo to be a true portrayal. I would say that about 1 out of 2 photos that we see in magazines have been, in one way or another, retouched.

3. Everyone strives for perfection, and if I had the opportunity to have my photos retouched I wouldn’t pass the chance up. Retouching fully transforms the person and I would be curious to see what my face may be made to look like if it were to appear on a spread for the public to see.

4. Retouching is a widely used tool for perfecting the look of today’s women. Every magazine cover and every advertisement or model/celebrity spread within it has a photo that has been retouched. The pictures that we see in magazines, although they may claim to be portraying the woman in her natural state have, in some way, tempered with the natural beauty of the person in the photo. Retouching gives us a false view of what women really look like, and build insecurities in today’s women. From a young age, girls have begun to use photos from magazines as guidelines and even some of the women as role models of what they must to look like in order to fit into society. Due to retouching, dangerous levels have been reached in order to strive for perfection and young girls and women are continuing to suffer from the pressure put on them by society to look like the models we see on magazine covers.

Sarah Petrella, 23-years-old, actress 

1. Yes Retouching is not just airbrushing but basically a "finish" on photos. Adjusting them to make them look however you want them to look.
2. I would say 100% of all models and celebrities that appear in magazines are in some way retouched.
3. As an actor yes I get my professional photos retouched but it is important not to retouch them too much for this purpose. It needs to look like you but the "best" you. I would never just get any old photo of me retouched to put on facebook. Retouching is also very expensive.
4. I think from having friends that are photographers that use retouching, I think it’s a really great art. It’s not easy to be able to be great at retouching and it can make for the most beautiful photographs artistically that you have ever seen. For example I have seen him retouch a dancer’s photo for dance magazine. He modified the background to make it look tropical and he tightened her legs a TOUCH just to make them look a tiny bit straighter. He also shrunk her waist a nudge and fixed some hairs that were in wrong places. I think retouching shouldn't have a negative impact on young women because yes all those models in those magazines ARE really that thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment