Shocking Image

Shocking Image

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

How it all started ...


The idea about this blog was born just a week ago .  I am a student in Hunter College, New York majoring in Media Studies. This current semester (Fall 2010) I am enrolled in a class that explores the relationship between women and the Media.  For my final project I originally thought to write an article about retouching and the impact that it has on young women.  This topic is very personal to me and I will explain why later on. Over the past month I have been doing research on retouching and particularly the impact that it has on young women. I interviewed many people-young women and men from different backgrounds, professional retouchers, and people involved in the fashion industry. At the end I had all the information gathered together and I started working on my article.The main purpose of my project is not to convince the public how bad retouching is but to find solutions to the problem. Although the article that I wrote is suggesting several solutions, I did not feel that it is strong enough.  I was going over it trying to make corrections, trying to make it better.  Regardless of the changes that I made it still did not feel right, it did not express me. Are you familiar with that feeling when you go to a bakery and you try to choose from all the amazing pastries that are displayed? Ohhhh it is so hard to make a choice isn’t it? At the end we want to play safe and go for the plain croissant. Once you buy it and start eating it you regret that you did not get the chocolate croissant or the cheese Danish. It is o.k. but it is still plain croissant after all. Well that’s how I felt about my article…It was good, but it did not have a twist.  And then after one sleepless night the idea of a Blog came up to my mind. I realized that if I create a Blog, more people will have access to it and will be able to share their opinions on the topic, as well as send their message to all young women who feel insecure. I hope that all of you who read that will take a minute of your time and read some my posts. Let us all work in a team and create a better environment for all the teenagers struggling to find their REAL self.  

No comments:

Post a Comment